Millions of people are affected by tooth loss and require a dental restoration. In the past, the most popular solution was a bridge or denture. For many people, traditional removable dentures can be bothersome. They sit on top of the gums and are held in place with either suction or denture adhesive, therefore, they feel unnatural. Now, many patients are opting for dental implants, as they restore functionality through the entire tooth structure down to the root.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are one of the most successful tooth replacement restorations. They are an ideal way to restore form and function in the mouth for patients who are missing teeth. Dental implants are considered a permanent restoration and can last a lifetime with good eating habits and proper oral care.
The dental implant is a post that is surgically placed into the jawbone during an outpatient procedure. The implant acts as a replacement for the missing tooth root to create a stable foundation for dental prosthetics such as crowns, bridges, or dentures.
The dental implant procedure
The procedure itself involves placement of implant into the dental arch. Once the post is permanently inserted into the jawbone, it is left alone to heal and fuse with the bone. This process can take several months. In the interim, temporary restorations can be used. Once the healing process is complete, a crown, bridge, or denture can be snapped over the implant, preventing sliding or rubbing along the gum line.
Dental implants are ideal for patients who have failing teeth, no teeth, current denture wearers or require a full arch replacement (upper and/or lower).
Benefits of dental implants:
- Replacement of natural tooth function
- Reduces bone resorption or atrophy
- Dentures are held firmly in place
The importance of replacing missing teeth
There are many reasons it’s important to replace missing teeth. Loss of natural teeth can have negative impacts on both health and quality of life. The following are some of the biggest reasons it’s important to seek tooth restoration:
- Improve self-confidence. Perhaps one of the most obvious reasons. Many individuals with tooth loss report that they are embarrassed by the gaps in their smiles. In addition, the loss of teeth and bone structure can change the appearance of your face. Over time, the muscles will droop due to the lack of support, making your face look much older. This can lead to depression or anxiety in many cases.
- Reduced risk for gum disease. Missing teeth can pose a risk for gum disease. When there are gaps in the smile, it can cause the remaining teeth to shift out of place. This can make it difficult to practice good oral hygiene and effectively remove food particles and debris. Over time, this can increase the risk of gum infection and additional tooth loss. Gum disease has also been linked to greater health issues such as heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes.
- Prevent other dental problems. Missing teeth can lead to an increased risk of TMJ. The failure to replace missing teeth causes changes in the muscles that help you chew and move your jaw. Over time, this can lead to a lot of pain and other side effects such as chronic headaches. While TMJ can be treated, replacing missing teeth can help prevent it from occurring in the first place.
Dental implants can enhance your life by giving you brand-new teeth that function and look like your natural teeth. Dental technology has become quite advanced. No longer do you need to worry about your dentures slipping or falling out while you are eating or speaking.
The team at AZ Dental Wellness has years of experience successfully placing dental implants. Let us help you restore your teeth and enjoy smiling again. If you are in the Scottsdale area, call our office today at (480) 405-1511 to schedule your consultation for dental implants.
Share this Article
Back to Dental Implants Page